today I want to tell you about my running plan that I have designed for myself before I was able to run for 30 minutes non-stop.
First of all, Disclaimer: I am not a professional athlete or a coach. Everything in this article is based on my personal experience. I share it with you for inspiration and motivation. A professional opinion is highly recommended.
Ok, now let me tell you how it all started. In a previous post about my dream to go for a marathon, I have already mentioned that I used to hate running. But when that changed I was already having problems with my ankles because I have injured them before and with my feet in general because , well, I have few genetic deformities (bunions & flat feet). So every time I tried to go for a jog , it was painful as hell. The pain that I was feeling in my feet didn’t help me focus on my breathing and I was every time feeling like if there was someone ripping my whole chest out and not only my heart from it. But a journey of a thousand miles starts with a step and my journey for running for 30 minutes non stop started with walking.
For months I went for 30 minutes walk. Every other-day, after lunch, I used to put my running shoes and go for a walk. I actually enjoyed it back that time because it was the beginning of the spring. I could enjoy good weather and the sunshine during my lunch break. After that, I started adding few minutes of jogging/running and from 3 times 1 minute jogging, I was able ,after 30 sessions , to run for 30 minutes easy. Here is a table to sum up the details of my running plan.
- Enjoy every session and listen to your body. If you feel like you need to walk for a longer time between running intervals or to do the same session more than once it’s completely ok.
- Remember that it’s ok to start easy. You don’t need to prove anything to anyone. Not even to yourself. So take it step by step ( and not only for running).
- Don’t forget to warm up before every session and to cool down. You can also walk for a longer time after each workout.
- Don’t forget to hydrate yourself.
- I followed this plan on 2 to 3 time per week basis. But it’s completely ok to change the frequency it’s really up to you.
- Take some good music with you or maybe your audio book.
- Take the right shoes that you feel comfortable running with.
- Choose nice places , like a park or something where you can go from place A to place B. You can also start from place A and go back to it in the end. But don’t run in circles. You will end up being bored (or at least this is what happened to me).
- And last thing, don’t forget to enjoy 🙂
Let me know if you have your own workout plan or if mine motivates you to have yours. I am only sharing this with you for motivation so it will make me really happy if you share your experience with me. Also, I have one other request. Can you please comment with one (or more) song name that you listen to when you run?